Tips for Cooperative Co-Parenting Following Divorce
The Lake County Indiana Local Court Rules require that the parents attempt a collaborative divorce whenever possible So, it might be nice to have a check list of tips to follow after divorce so that your children can thrive through life. It also helps from the legal perspective to ensure that you are both meeting obligations to protect the well being of your children.
- Select dates and times for children’s interaction with each parent.
- Consider times and dates for interaction between both parents and children. Showing a united front is important in child rearing.
- In advance, plan a visitation calendar.
- Discuss shared and individual responsibilities, such as homework, health, reward systems, curfews, social activities and holidays.
- Follow through on plans with your children.
- Allow for flexibility in each divorcee’s plans.
- Demonstrate compassion for each other’s needs.
- Be open to in-laws needs for interaction with your children.
- Emotionally support your ex-spouse as much as reasonably possible.
- Demonstrate that the lines of communication are open between parents for your children.
If you or a loved one is in need of a lawyer, contact Burton Padove for a free consultation at 219-836-2200.